Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Who needs a recipe?

I think I watch WAY too many cooking shows (shut up Adam) because I no longer follow recipes.  Ok so I've never been a big recipe person to begin with.  My family LOVES cookbooks but even with a pretty massive collection under their belts, they really only use them for baking.  And I've learned that's exactly what I do with mine.  Things you make all the time you learn to tweak to make them to fit your tastes better with time.  Of course watching the food network has really opened up my mind as far as what to make and the basic principals of it all.  For example.  I make stuffed mushrooms.  Adam and Lily and myself all like them.  I've never laid eyes on a recipe for stuffed mushrooms before and yet I make them and 98% of the time they turn out fantastic.  And if they don't turn out great I can usually remember it and fix it the next time.  I do this with other things too, meatloaf, meatballs, crock pot recipes etc.  But in honor of me making the mushrooms for dinner tonight I thought I'd post my method.  Of course ingredients are easily changed out for what's on hand too.

Stuffed Mushrooms

1 container of mushrooms (white button or baby portabellas)  We prefer the small mushrooms but larger is fine too.
Take the stems out and dice them up fine.  In a saute' pan Saute' up some diced onion, garlic in some oil or butter.  Add herbs and spices to taste.  mix in some Seasoned bread crumbs to the consistency of a filling.  Add some cheese (whatever kind if fine, I've used Parm and Mozzarella before)  Put the mushrooms on a baking sheet and fill with filling.  Sprinkle extra cheese on top and bake at about 400 degrees for 15-20 minutes until the cheese is brown and the mushrooms are tender. 

Enjoy!

Other things that would be delicious in these: diced peppers, ground sausage, other veggies diced small. 

These would be great for a party or served with dinner, like a meatloaf.  You can use a lot of the same ingredients in the meatloaf too and it would tie together nice!

1 comment:

TexasCoy said...

My husband is like this, and for being pretty creative with my hands I have NO creativity in the kitchen.

Give me a recipe I can't muck up I say!